Crocketteers Forum
April 23, 2014, 07:47:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Crocketteers Forum!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why the World Stops for the World Cup...  (Read 4321 times)
Mike Macias
Crocketteers Founder
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 05, 2010, 09:06:56 AM »

New piece by Danilo (edit/contrib by Kyle B):
http://www.crocketteers.com/2010/05/05/why-the-world-stops-for-the-world-cup/

Victory or Death
Danilo-11
Crocketteer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 10:00:18 AM »

Thanks,
I thought that maybe you forgot about it  Grin

Eto'o: "Madrid, c......n, saluda al campeón"
jhope
Crocketteer/Moderator
Global Moderator

jhopehope
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 11:13:01 AM »

Loved the article.  Great job Daniel.

futbol in our lives is played in our hearts.
Aussie
Crocketteer

thewhitlamsrock@gmail.com chrisomni
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 03:27:43 PM »

The world cup is now 37 days away, I was thinking we should probably look at doing previews on each of the world cup groups, probably starting in 5 days time, previewing a group every 4 days.

It would probably be good to do this as a combined effort playing to each of our strengths on what we know about specific regions & nations.

Central Coast Mariners - 2008-09 A-League Premiers
Australia - 1980, 1996, 2000, 2004 OFC Champions
Rangers FC - Scottish Champion 53 times, world's most successful club
Danilo-11
Crocketteer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 08:07:01 PM »

The world cup is now 37 days away, I was thinking we should probably look at doing previews on each of the world cup groups, probably starting in 5 days time, previewing a group every 4 days.

It would probably be good to do this as a combined effort playing to each of our strengths on what we know about specific regions & nations.

A suggestion about that,
let's try to make simple, and highlight the star/stars to follow in each of those teams.

I'm saying this, because a lot of people have never heard of Champions League, UEFA Cup, Premier League, La Liga, etc. So it's better not to get carried away saying things like: "This team, 5 of them play for the Champions League standing champion, 3 of them play for the Premier League champion, etc."
Because you don't want people to read the article and think "What the hell is that?... screw this, I'm gonna read something else"

Let's do it in alphabetical order...
Here's the groups
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2010/groups/6665154/World-Cup-Groups.html

I could do this (in order of favorite) = H, A, E
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 08:11:26 PM by Danilo-11 » Logged

Danilo-11
Crocketteer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 08:20:08 PM »

A few other things,
can we ask Express-News if we can do their "somewhat official" World Cup preview .... stuff.
And just tell them what we are planning on doing.

To be consistent, what information should we have in it?
- Location of the country
- How many times they've played the World Cup
- Best finish in the WC
- What spot they got in their qualifier (for Africa and Europe, just go by points)
- Talk some about the 2 players to follow in each team
- "The Crocketteer power ranking"

DARK Chicharito
Crocketteer

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 10:34:57 PM »

I hope you all enjoy this WC Television commercial from Argentina.

TyC Sports Argentina Mundial 2010 Argentinos.mp4

Dark Chicharito, Let the force be with you...and the Red Devils.
Mike Macias
Crocketteers Founder
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 08:46:48 AM »

A few other things,
can we ask Express-News if we can do their "somewhat official" World Cup preview .... stuff.
And just tell them what we are planning on doing.

To be consistent, what information should we have in it?
- Location of the country
- How many times they've played the World Cup
- Best finish in the WC
- What spot they got in their qualifier (for Africa and Europe, just go by points)
- Talk some about the 2 players to follow in each team
- "The Crocketteer power ranking"

Express News Editor Stephen Fontenot will have an official blog on the event. They will tie things back to our blog and vice versa.

Hey, this is Steve over at the Express-News. Just wanted to let you know that I'm going to have a World Cup blog at http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/worldcup/ which will mainly focus (ahead of the tournament) on retrospectives on old tournaments and analysis of the teams, then shift (during the tournament) to daily thoughts on the event itself. I've seen your write-ups on the Voices blog and on the Crocketteers website, and wanted to see if you'd be interested in cross-linking World Cup related stuff up to and/or during the event.

Victory or Death
Danilo-11
Crocketteer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 09:08:18 AM »

Hey, this is Steve over at the Express-News. Just wanted to let you know that I'm going to have a World Cup blog at http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/worldcup/ which will mainly focus (ahead of the tournament) on retrospectives on old tournaments and analysis of the teams, then shift (during the tournament) to daily thoughts on the event itself. I've seen your write-ups on the Voices blog and on the Crocketteers website, and wanted to see if you'd be interested in cross-linking World Cup related stuff up to and/or during the event.

Excellent,
we are set to go  Cool

Aussie
Crocketteer

thewhitlamsrock@gmail.com chrisomni
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 10:56:33 AM »

I was thinking instead of having one person cover a group have some people responsible for certain teams, like I know a lot about the Asian & NZ teams, so it's easy for me to talk about them.

As for a "power ranking" that works on a league. The World Cup isn't a league, what might be better to do would be at the end of each team for the writer to state their prediction on how the team will go. I like your consistancy set up (and Asia also uses groups)

Central Coast Mariners - 2008-09 A-League Premiers
Australia - 1980, 1996, 2000, 2004 OFC Champions
Rangers FC - Scottish Champion 53 times, world's most successful club
Danilo-11
Crocketteer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 11:35:35 AM »

I was thinking instead of having one person cover a group have some people responsible for certain teams, like I know a lot about the Asian & NZ teams, so it's easy for me to talk about them.

As for a "power ranking" that works on a league. The World Cup isn't a league, what might be better to do would be at the end of each team for the writer to state their prediction on how the team will go. I like your consistancy set up (and Asia also uses groups)

Sounds good,
I can do all the SouthAmerican teams and Spain.

But we need to focus on group "A" since it would be the 1st one. I'll write something about Uruguay and give it to you guys.

Danilo-11
Crocketteer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 11:37:22 AM »

I hope you all enjoy this WC Television commercial from Argentina
What a surprise,
argentinians saying that the World envies them,
they need to come up with something new.

(BTW, I'm joking around, they are known for always claiming to be the best at everything)

DARK Chicharito
Crocketteer

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 11:55:18 AM »

Power rankings are easy...let's start from the bottom up...New Zeland, and teams from Asia...Aussie, i just made your job easier.

Dark Chicharito, Let the force be with you...and the Red Devils.
Soccerman
Crocketteer

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 01:15:19 PM »

Sounds good,
I can do all the SouthAmerican teams and Spain.

But we need to focus on group "A" since it would be the 1st one. I'll write something about Uruguay and give it to you guys.

I volunteer to do the CONCACAF teams.....

My credentials? Seen World Cups 1978, 1982, 1986, 1990, 1994, 1998, 2002 and 2006
Mike Macias
Crocketteers Founder
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 01:43:35 PM »

Great planning guys... Pick one person (Aussie or Danilo) who will take all the pieces. That way that one person can keep a consistent format to deliver on the blog.

Victory or Death
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: