Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What an exciting day for SA soccer fans!  (Read 806 times)
210United
Crocketteer

View Profile Email
« on: January 09, 2012, 09:18:41 PM »

First we get a great Scorpions press conference, which I must say, they really have their act together. Although I remain skeptical, I think they have a sensible stadium plan and clearly a ton of community interest and support. 2300 season tickets sold is pretty darn good. I like what they've done so far.

And then, a huge turn of events at SAISD, and they actually vote for a FIFA sized field, while keeping the track, so everyone wins. Some seats will have to be removed from the stadium, but a small price to pay, IMO. I still would have rather seen the track go, but considering I didn't think this vote was going to make it at all, I'm thrilled beyond words.

So, it is definitely GAME ON in san antonio. The Scorpions have a nice plan and a big head start, but the Spurs are warming up in the bullpen.

I am ..... SO freakin excited right now.

This was a great day for soccer fans in San Antonio.

Grin
sa_hooligan

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 09:19:14 AM »

I am very excited about the Scorpions starting play this year and beginning construction of the new stadium.  The stadium plans are amazing.  Regarding the SAISD mess, that stuff just does not pass the smell test.  I think the Spurs organization is behind the curve and this, and everything else I've read about the USL seems very unstable.  That's not to say the NASL is that much more stable, but they appear to be on the right track.
210United
Crocketteer

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 01:22:47 PM »

I saw you post more or less the same thing on the Inside MN news page and I really don't understand what you're getting at, but I guess anyone can toss around a generic cute phrase like "doesn't pass the smell test" without actually making a point. The track stays (which was the big point of contention) and they are adding the soccer field. Where I'm come from, that's a nice compromise that should satisfy everyone involved.

Bottom line, I like what the Scorpions are doing, and it's a nice story. But as I've stated before, the Spurs have all the experience when it comes to running a successful franchise, and if soccer fans in this town are serious about MLS becoming a reality here one day, I believe you should be pulling for the Spurs too. Not only do they have the proven sporting experience, they have all the connections as well. They also will have the ability to bring in International Soccer almost immediately upon coming to an agreement to lease the facility (once the field project is finished, of course). Hartman can't really pull that off with a 6,000 stadium, even if he had the thought to do it. Which I would question as it's apparent that MW will always take priority over soccer in his eyes.

Which brings me to my next point. The stadium designs are great, and as I mention, they make sense. But right now we're only talking about phase one. To my knowledge, I have no idea where the money would come from for each expansion, if they ever do get to that point. He has private funds for phase one apparently, but what about the rest? Who knows? Whereas Alamo Stadium, even if you never expanded it, it's big enough to get the job done for MLS. And if they did ever choose to make it bigger, I can't imagine it would be all that much trouble. Although, here too, who knows where that money would come from. But what....even with the removal of seats with the new track Alamo holds....I dunno 15,000? They're already there. Hartman's plan to get to 18,000....that could take a decade for all I know.

Alamo Stadium also has one other very important thing going for it that Hartman does not. Prime central location. And last time I checked, his stadium won't offer a sweet view of downtown San Antonio from the seating area, either. It just has the potential for a much better atmosphere, IMO. The biggest question I will have is beer sales. But I imagine they'll work something out.

So, that's my take on it. I'll gladly support the Scorpions this season, but to me, it's not who starts first, it's who does it better, and who is most serious about their overall soccer product.
sa_hooligan

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 02:25:31 PM »

As "cute" as I might appear to you, that doesn't change the smell of the SAISD deal.  The board is acting in their own interests in the hope that SS&E or somebody will lease Alamo Stadium from them.  They are doing this by opting for the most expensive option to allow a FIFA field.  They will be doing this by channeling funds away from teh Convocation Center refurb.  This was not what SAISD residents voted for.  If the district was interested in having FIFA regulation fields, they just created two at Burbank.

The Spurs may have all the experience, but they are asleep at the wheel as far as soccer in San Antonio.  Like I said, if they don't go straight for MLS, they run the risk of completely killing soccer in San Antonio with a competing division 3 team.

Like you, I would prefer to see a soccer stadium closer to town, in fact, I would rather see it within the downtown loop.  Alamo Stadium and the Spurs are not the answer right now, in my humble opinion.
DARK Chicharito
Crocketteer

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 04:56:42 PM »

210United...Please tell me you are 12 years of age. Otherwise you need to see a doctor about your sense of smell BECAUSE... EVERYBODY in SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS CAN SMELL THE BULL%$# behind the ALAMO STADIUM deal. I love soccer, but not like this, not this way.

Do not be surprised if SAISD tax payers appeal the decision.  Do you seriously believe this was about removing a track court? Do you even know where the money is coming from?

Dark Chicharito, Let the force be with you...and the Red Devils.
210United
Crocketteer

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 10:22:24 PM »

You say that like the Spurs just got in this game or something. They've been researching soccer in san antonio for 7 years now. Please tell me you know that, right? 7 years ago, there wasn't even a plan for Morgan's Wonderland, let alone the Scorpions, so please don't act like the Spurs are either new to the soccer talks nor that they aren't the ones for the job. I assure you they have the most information on the subject here in SA.

Also, does it not occur to anybody that this could be a revenue stream for the district? It takes some forward thinking and some bold moves to enact positive change for an entire community, and frankly I applaud SAISD for taking the next step. The same people who are up in arms now will be the same ones who end up benefiting from these changes in the long run. I have little doubt about that.

And what do you mean, not like this? Not like what? This is the same city that wanted to steal....yes steal ...the New Orleans Saints in the wake of hurricane Katrina and you think THIS is dirty? Hilarious.

It may have been the most expensive option, but it still allowed for a compromise to happen. Like I said, this is win-win. Also, it takes money to make money. This is a step in the right direction. And as much as I would love for the Spurs to go right for MLS, that isn't going to happen anymore than the Scorpions doing so. Unfortunately, if you know your history, we had our shot and we dumped all over it. What makes you think MLS, the fastest growing sport in the country with 2 Texas teams in place and tons of interest coast to coast needs to come crawling back to SA? Here's a clue. They don't. We're gonna have to earn it that hard way. Which is exactly why I am psyched at this vote getting passed.

Just show me where I buy the season tickets.
DARK Chicharito
Crocketteer

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 08:26:54 AM »

You say that like the Spurs just got in this game or something. They've been researching soccer in san antonio for 7 years now. Please tell me you know that, right? 7 years ago, there wasn't even a plan for Morgan's Wonderland, let alone the Scorpions, so please don't act like the Spurs are either new to the soccer talks nor that they aren't the ones for the job. I assure you they have the most information on the subject here in SA.

Also, does it not occur to anybody that this could be a revenue stream for the district? It takes some forward thinking and some bold moves to enact positive change for an entire community, and frankly I applaud SAISD for taking the next step. The same people who are up in arms now will be the same ones who end up benefiting from these changes in the long run. I have little doubt about that.

And what do you mean, not like this? Not like what? This is the same city that wanted to steal....yes steal ...the New Orleans Saints in the wake of hurricane Katrina and you think THIS is dirty? Hilarious.

It may have been the most expensive option, but it still allowed for a compromise to happen. Like I said, this is win-win. Also, it takes money to make money. This is a step in the right direction. And as much as I would love for the Spurs to go right for MLS, that isn't going to happen anymore than the Scorpions doing so. Unfortunately, if you know your history, we had our shot and we dumped all over it. What makes you think MLS, the fastest growing sport in the country with 2 Texas teams in place and tons of interest coast to coast needs to come crawling back to SA? Here's a clue. They don't. We're gonna have to earn it that hard way. Which is exactly why I am psyched at this vote getting passed.

Just show me where I buy the season tickets.

NOt like this means...NOT LIKE THIS!, and that's the bottom line. 

You typed a lot for nothing.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/education/article/SAISD-board-ends-Spurs-soccer-plans-2594986.php

Dark Chicharito, Let the force be with you...and the Red Devils.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

//wibiya